Big Bucks!

Big Bucks!

Quote for the Day

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99
I am not afraid of storms as I am learning to sail my ship...

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99I


Friday, November 09, 2007

Bathroom Hell!

As I prepared to go to bed last night, I remarked that the master bath toilet was "still running".....In an effort to save money on our water bill, I reached down to the floor to the shut it off and figured "I'll just crank this baby nice and tight and shut her down." Boy was I in for a cascading suprise!


You wouldn't believe how something so feeble as this little pipe holds back such enormous force of water!

Here's the bathroom after Operation Water Hell! Had to tear out the carpet/pad.....

She took out a large number of tiles in the basement! Soaked the floor.....

Charles Swindoll said that life is 10 percent what happens and 90 percent how you respond. So, two lessons learned today:
1: Don't stand on a kids plastic chair to reach shut off valves in the ceiling when water is cascading down on you.
2: Don't touch water shut offs late at night.
3: There is no amount of water/catastrophe/lump on my forehead from falling off a plastic kids chair that is going to wreck my day! Bring it on!

Here is exactly every TEAM T towel that we own!


After one full day of no water in the house, (I had to shut off the main water supply since the toilet line shut off went KABLAMMIE) I am so proud to say that I fixed it and installed a new pipe/valve! And I am very sure I don't want to "live off the grid" now.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

jitters,

make sure you vote at camp-osto!!!you should join in the fun...

HomemakerAng said...

i am horribly sorry, can we help at all? all this on no sleep i am sure?

Anonymous said...

can you submit this to your insurance? Maybe they will cover new floor? UGH. I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

Carpeting in the bathroom in very unsanitary anyway.
Eggs

Anonymous said...

:)Only You...:)


Mc

DJ Alexander said...

Team Tobin!!

yikes. Isn't your plumbing story par for the course? The small things can, in the blink of an eye, turn into a nightmare in seconds.

My 95+ year old house in Rockford has NUMEROUS similar stories. A few years back I turned off the water at the main intake in the basement. The shut off valve broke off in my hand. The bright side was that the position was on OFF. The dark side is it was Friday night. So I had to wait till Monday to get the city involved, because they had to shut off the city water outside at the street.

No water for two days. So I can feel your pain-about not having water!

Great job that you fixed it yourself, instead of using a plumber. Way 2 go!

TIP: my dad (a retired pipefitter with 42 years on the job) told me the following:

Every year you should turn off and on all your valves in the house to keep them in working order. And when you turn them back on, back off a small 1/4 inch turn. His theory is that the valve will not freeze in the open position. Wisdom from a master plumber!

Anonymous said...

Deer updates???
Dottie****