Big Bucks!

Big Bucks!

Quote for the Day

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99
I am not afraid of storms as I am learning to sail my ship...

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99I


Friday, April 25, 2008

A Pipe Dream

For this post, turn off the almostgunlakers jukebox by hitting the pause button twice, then start this video below. It is actually exerpts from the soundtrack for my all time favorite movie! The music will help you understand and enjoy MY PIPE DREAM!



Today I will share with you a dream I have always had....Something that I have in the workshop of my mind that I have fiddled with little by little over the years. I have always believed it was a pipe dream, (def-A pipe dream is a fantastic hope or plan that is generally regarded as being nearly impossible to achieve.) but wonder now as a ten year milestone approaches in just a few months if it's time to move along to the next phase of my journey in life.

I have always dreamed of living in Alaska. The whole concept of homesteading has always attracted me. I often wonder why this longing inside to go out and test myself in nature keeps surfacing. Is it in fact how God intented us to live life? Free of all the hussle and stress of modern day life? Am I living and enjoying life as he intended it amidst all the modern conveniences and struggles of this life? I can only imagine how peaceful a life in the woods could be. Would it be devoid of problems? Struggles? Frustration? No. But perhaps a large portion of the things that trouble us all now in our lives would vanish. Can you imagine simply having to worry about planting your own crops, harvesting food, and daily maintenance of your soul as being all you had to accomplish? There is hardly a commute into town where I do not ponder if I'm headed in the right direction. As I have reached the age of 33, the thoughts are more vivid and taxing now. With each year the desires and drive to experience nature grow bigger and bigger. Is this all a pipe dream? Is it an unrealistic hope that there is a better life for me that is stress free? Am I underestimating the struggles, stress, and pure frustration that embarking on this type of life altering journey would create? Would my family be able to deal with the change? These are all questions I love to ponder.

And perhaps, in being able to mull this plan over in the workshop of my mind I have truly been able to make the journey and escape from the stress of responsibility. I marvel at this story of the man who left it all and moved deep into the wilderness:


He said it very well:
"It was good to be back in the wilderness again where everything seems at peace. I was alone. It was a great feeling---a stirring feeling. Free once more to plan and do as I pleased. Beyond as all around me. The dream was a dream no longer.
I suppose I was here because this was something I had to do. Not just dream about it but do it. I suppose, too, I was here to test myself, not that I had never done it before, but this time it was to be a more through and lasting examination.
What was I capable of that I didn’t know yet? What about my limits? Could I truly enjoy my own company for an entire year? Was I equal to everything this wild land could throw at me? I had seen its moods in late spring, summer, and early fall, but what about winter? Would I love the isolation then, with its bonestabbing cold, its brooding ghostly silence, its forced confinement? At age fifty-one I intended to find out."
May 21, 1968


You can check out his story here------->One Man's Wilderness

1 comments:

HomemakerAng said...

the gentle giant and i LOVE this series "One Man's wilderness"! LOVE IT! I was ready to cash out of here and i seriously mean LIVE OFF THE LAND. NO CONSUMERS, OFF GRID 100%, DEBT FREE... BUT then an explosion happened over here and I found I better not become garden girl, at least go over to "the other side" 100%...

I challenge you to this... Remember though, Alaska is pretty DARK a lot of the year... I couldnt do it... hollers in WV are pretty cheap land, seriously. you get a lot of bang for the buck but the people that go with it.

is your wife on board with this game plan? that will be the deciding factor...