Big Bucks!

Big Bucks!

Quote for the Day

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99
I am not afraid of storms as I am learning to sail my ship...

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott


Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/louisamaya104679.html#CVIeiGvpQvsIJvdR.99I


Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ragged But Right


The "Ol' Possum" George Jones

I've searched and can't find if Tammy shot at him......However, it appears he abused her so its very possible!


"Jones' autobiography, I Lived to Tell It All, recounts in painfully stiff prose the one-way ticket to Hell his life became. All the stories are there, including the time Jones rode his lawn mower to the liquor store after being denied the car keys."

Hmm....that sounds odd. I don't recall if the TEAM T MOWER HAS EVER BEEN TO THE STORE UP THE STREET....

"Then, just a few years ago, he quit first coke and then booze, thanks, he says, to the persistence and love of his fifth wife (the only one of the five he admits to having beaten--what third spouse Tammy Wynette has said about him using his fists and nearly his guns on her is not true, Jones insists). His recollections, considerably assisted by Carter's interviewing of his associates to fill in the many blanks he admits drugs and booze have drawn in his mind, are filled with both plenty of regrets and lots of the rough, practical-joke humor, much of which arises from incidents that weren't funny at all at the time, that seems a constant in the lives of perpetually touring popular musicians."

"He lays bare his troubled past, including an account of his disastrous marriage to country singer Tammy Wynette. It's not a pleasant story, and Jones himself is amazed that his career has prospered in spite of everything he has done to destroy it. Now 65 and recovered from a triple bypass operation, he claims he has conquered his addictions and settled into a happy marriage. There are no insights here about his musical abilities or the reasons for his success, but Jones makes sobering comments on the state of country music today, which he observes is mass-marketed and mass-produced for the young with total disregard for the older performers like himself who started it all."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you trying to FOOL the Team T mower has been to the end of the street (gas station) lots of times the last 2 summers.

Love Ya

GRPOA said...

Nothin' like putting me out there!

Anonymous said...

I've seen the ole snapper parked in the lot of daisy mae's a time or two, and here all this time I thought you were just being neighborly and cutting the grass! I, however, am too poor for a riding lawn mower, and my push mower is a death trap when I'm "drinkin' and dreamin'". love waylon j.

Anonymous said...

There's a guy over on G.R.'s West side that rides his lawn mower to the 7-Eleven on Alpine ave all the time for beer!! And Jones is right, today's country is mass-produced for the sole purpose of a profit. The guys from his generation had lots of great songs that never got played. Some are still makin them but sadly, they will never get air time.
-West 54

DJ Alexander said...

jitters,

that sounds like an interesting book. have you heard of the new DVD "Before the music dies" ?? its a scathing look at the music industry today. but the DVD ends with hope for music + musicians today. I just got the DVD, I'll make a copy 4 you.

DJ